Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

BBQ Bison Ribs


I cooked these bison ribs on my kettle grill for supper tonight. The ribs were purchased from Gap Creek Buffalo in Bradenton, FL. I used a marinade of Worchestershire, beer, honey, chipotle adobo, salt, pepper, garlic, and soy sauce.

Using aluminum foil, banking the lump charcoal to one side of the kettle, and rotating the ribs every 20 minutes allowed me to cook these bison ribs in about an hour and 10 minutes. It's the first time I cooked them and may have actually overcooked them, so they were a little more chewy than I expected. They are pretty healthy for a barbecue entree.

If you don't have time to watch the entire video, here's a picture of the final cooking results:


We served the ribs with a healthy portion of Spanish rice.

5 comments:

The BBQ Guys Wife said...

Hey BBQ Guy who made the marinade??

thelmapickles said...

How hot was your grill? I'm going to BBQ bison ribs this week and the only recipe I could find says to cook the ribs at 225 degrees for 3 hours. I'm afraid of drying out the meat if I cook it for that long.

The BBQ Guy said...

If you wrap in foil after an hour or so, that should help keep them moist.

My grill was not real hot, but I'm sure it was higher than 225. It's harder to tell on a charcoal grill than on a charcoal smoker.

If I do these again I'll probably used my Weber Smokey Mountain water smoker.

thelmapickles said...

Just wanted to report back. We cooked our bison ribs last night, and they turned out great! Here's what we did:

1. Rub ribs with Williams-Sonoma coffee rub.
2. Sear ribs over hot coals for 1-2 minutes each side.
3. Wrap ribs in foil. Cook over indirect heat (about 400 degrees F) for 30 minutes.
4. Separate ribs, toss in BBQ sauce.
5. Throw ribs back on grill for a few minutes to cook in the sauce.

The ribs didn't have much of a smoky flavor, but next time we might throw some wood chips on the coals to rectify that. Thanks for your advice, and happy BBQ-ing!

The BBQ Guy said...

The coffee rub is a great idea. I'm glad they turned out well.