Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

Dutch Oven Breakfast

My dutch oven gear.

12 inch and 10 inch dutch ovens.

The bacon has been browned. I'm adding the onions, green peppers, and red peppers.

A close-up after the hashbrowns and chunks of ham were added.

Adding a dozen eggs.

The eggs are cooked. Adding the cheese topping.

Finished "Mountain Man Breakfast" after the cheese melted.

Mountain Man Breakfast

A recipe by Danny Wardle

Preheat a 12" dutch oven

Brown a 1/2 pound of bacon cut into pieces
Add and cook a medium onion chopped
Add green and red pepper
Remove the bacon, onions, and peppers
Add a 32 ounce bag of hash browns
Brown hash browns and stir in bacon and onions back in
Add 12 eggs and poor over potatoes, bacon, onions, and peppers
Cook until eggs are almost solid
Sprinkle top with grated cheddar cheese
Cook until eggs are solid and cheese is melted
Serve with salsa

This recipe is published in Lovin' Dutch Ovens by Joan S. Larsen. I added the ham and peppers based on my personal tastes. The next time I make it I'm going to add more black pepper.


6 comments:

Chris said...

Your pictures bring a question to mind. Does anyone ever use lump for dutch oven cooking? I just realized that everytime I've seen people cooking on one, they are using briquettes.

Is that because of the uniform piece size? I know most of my mom's d/o recipes refer to this many coals below, this many on the lid.

The BBQ Guy said...

I know some folks that think using charcoal of any kind is taboo -- lump or briquette. For me, it's easier to gauge the temperature with briquettes, but I've only been cooking with dutch ovens for a couple of years.

Greg said...

Cool! I posted my version on my blog a little while ago.

Good stuff...

briquettes, particularly Kingsford are about all you see at DO competitions FWIW. Consistency is the oft cited reason.

The BBQ Guy said...

Greg,

Thanks for visiting. I spent some time on your site this afternoon.

You've got some nice recipes I'm going to have to try out.

Anonymous said...

Mountainman Breakfast is my absolte favorite Dutch oven meal. Of course breakfast anytime is the right time! Nice blog!!

Gary

Anonymous said...

Ha! This is great. I can't tell you how many times I've made something exactly like this while camping. Different ingredients, of course, and never the same twice. My boys call it Breakfast Glop, so I guess that's it's name.