Pages

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Humdinger Hamburgers on WSM

Smoke & Spice, a barbecue cookbook by Cheryl and Bill Jamison, has some delicious recipes.

Their recipe for Humdinger Hamburgers on page 133 is a nice example of some of the book's basic smoker recipes that have been "spiced" up a little to make them all the better to eat.

We started by making the spice mixture. It's called Wild Willy's Number One-Derful Rub in the book and contains paprika, black pepper, kosher salt, sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and a small amount of cayenne.

Next we prepared the Basic Beef Mop, which included beer, vinegar, vegetable oil, a chopped onion, a minced garlic clove, Worcestershire sauce, and an additional small amount of the Wild Willy's rub.

I prepared the Weber Smokey Mountain for smoking at 225 degrees, removed the water pan, and put the hamburgers on the top grate for cooking.

You don't have to use the beef mop, but I decided to try it out and basted the burgers every 15 minutes until the internal temperature reached 165 degrees.

I have never "smoked" a hamburger before, but they were delicious. I am not sure I'll ever "grill" my hamburgers again.


2 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for reviewing a smoked burger. I've never tried that and my initial thoughts were......UGH! But knowing your expertise in smoking and hearing your opinion, I am going to HAVE to try that.

Great job!

Have a great weekend!
Chris
My Blog

The BBQ Guy said...

I thought the same thing when Linda showed me the recipe. By the time I pulled the burgers off to serve, the cooker temperature had risen to 300 degrees. The taste was similar to a grilled burger, but I think the lower temperature helps retain more of the natural moisture in the meat.