Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cooking for Real with Sunny Anderson

I've been enjoying some vacation days at home this week. A little cleaning, a little cooking, and some yard work later I sat down and watched some TV yesterday.

I ran across a new Food Network program that is totally fresh and happening. It's called Cooking for Real and it's hosted by Sunny Anderson. She made some cider brined fried chicken and cabbage slaw that looked intersting. After cooking it myself, I'm a big fan of Sunny Anderson.

I made Sunny's fried chicken for supper last night. Linda loved it so much that she proclaimed it the best fried chicken she'd ever eaten. If you're looking for a crispy and crunchy fried chicken recipe look no further. Read the recipe.

I cut back on the cayenne and used 1 tablespoon each of black pepper, white pepper, and cayenne, which turned out well.

Note: The pepper goes in the egg wash instead of the flour/corn starch. Also, instead of rolling the chicken in the flour, you've got to try the brown paper bag shake method. It really works.

2 comments:

WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Brian,
Did you rinse or dry the chicken when you took it out of the brine? The recipe doesn't call for either.
BrooklynQ

The BBQ Guy said...

When she made it on TV she did not rinse it off and I not recall her suggesting it either.

When I made the recipe I let the chicken pieces rest in brine for 2 hours in the refrigerator. (I wouldn't do it for more than 2 - 3 hours depending on the level of salt you want.)

I drained the brine off, put the flour and corn starch mixture in a brown paper bag, and placed the chicken pieces in the bag, and shook thoroughly to coat the chicken pieces.

When Sunny made the chicken recipe on TV she let the chicken rest for 10 minutes between the coating with flour and placing in the frying pan. She said that is allows the flour to "cling" better. I did the same when I made the recipe.

From my perspective the recipe turned out well. I'll be making again...a lot.