Pages

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Food Safety

For the last five or six years, my lunch time ritual has included reading the USA Today newspaper. As I ate my chili today in the cafeteria, I came across an article about the recent contamination issues with spinach and lettuce.

I was alarmed to read that "washing produce with regular water only removes 60% to 90% of microbes". The article goes on to recommend that lettuce and other green leaf vetegables be washed in "15 ppm to 20 ppm of free chlorine" to help reduce the risk of contamination and even then it does not eliminate the risk completely.

Luckily for us barbecue cookers and eaters, according to the article I read today in the Chicago Tribue, the Department of Agriculture has a more stringent program for inspections of meat and poultry products.

Copy Cat Recipes!

No comments: