Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Cooking Baby Back Ribs

I originally posted this article and accompanying pictures in August '06. In the spirit of revisting some of my Best of 2006 articles for the New Year, I thought I'd bring this one back for another viewing.

A couple of Saturday's ago I performed a not-so-scientific taste test consisting of three racks of ribs purchased from Sam's Club rubbed with three kinds of rubs I happened to have in the pantry-- The BBQ Guy's Original Spice Rub, HomeBBQ.com Rib Rub, and Billy Bones' Original BBQ Rub.



Three racks of ribs rubbed up and ready for the cooker. I usually marinate them in the refrigerator overnight, but this time I put them straight on the cooker.

After two and a half hours in the smoker at 225 degrees.
Here's a picture of the ribs after cooking for 3 hours. I turned them meat side down and added some apple juice.
Even though it's upside down, this picture shows the ribs after flipping them meat-side-up. Just prior to the final stages of cooking.
In this picture I'm adding some brown sugar just prior to the last 45 minutes of cooking.

Here's a picture of the finished product. I like to add the bbq sauce during the last 10-15 minutes just prior to serving them.




BBQ Secrets Revealed, Click Here!

2 comments:

Curt McAdams said...

Brian, you said this was a taste TEST; what were the results?!?

The BBQ Guy said...

Hi Curt,

I took these over to the neighbors in styrofoam turn-in boxes just the real thing and the husband picked Home BBQ and the wife picked Billy Bones. But they both said that it was the sauce that really did it for them.

They said they liked the tangy sauce taste, which is kind of interesting because I used the same sauce on all three racks, so I guess they really could taste the rub.

All three are good and all three have won awards.