Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Lighter Fluid or Charcoal Chimney?

Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney StarterLighter fluid is really not necessary for starting a charcoal grill or smoker.  With a charcoal chimney and a few pieces of cardboard you can achieve the same smoke and fire without the lighter fluid (and without the odor).

Simply add lump charcoal to the top of the chimney and add some corrugated cardboard either in the top or in the chamber below.  It doesn't take much. Three or four 3 inch strips of cardboard will likely be plenty. I do this inside the grill or smoker for safety. Always remember: safety first.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed. In fact, I think the charcoal chimney is even faster than the lighter fluid/charcoal lighter.

Jayde said...

These smoke stack type of charcoal lighters are really quick..A few pieces of crumpled pieces of news paper under them and a match and off they go..I like using them

Chris said...

I have noticed that a Weber chimney (like the one pictured) holds more coal and starts much faster than the generic ones sold at Lowe's.

The BBQ Guy said...

I've got a Charbroil version of the chimney I've been suing for many years. (I received it as a gift.) If I ever purchase a new one, I'll opt for the Weber design. I have to "flip" mine to dump it. I'd rather squeeze the handle to remove the coals.

Dancancue said...

When i bbq with briquettes, i shut all the vents when I'm done. This snuffs out the fire. Before i bbq next time, I shake the bbq of its ash and what remains are the old briquettes but about 1/3 to 1/2 of the original size. Before I lite my bbq with the chimney, i place new briquettes about 1/2 to 2/3 full and place these old briquettes ontop. They relite quickly. This saves briquettes and reduces waste in your ash pan.