Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

First Cut London Broil Top Sirloin

Today I barbecued my first London Broil.  The package said it was a "1st Cut London Broil Top Sirloin".  It was a 2 lb piece of lean beef.

I prepared the meat by marinating it for 8 hours to infuse flavor deep in this 1 1/2 - 2 inch thick London Broil.

Sometimes this can be difficult. A simple rub might work, but it won't penetrate the meat deeply enough to really get the flavor throughout the meat. With a rub alone, you might end up with a few bites of flavor and several bites of dry and plain tasting beef.

So, I chose a simple marinade to help improve my chances (and flavors).

London Broil Barbecue Recipe

Marinade mixture:

· 2 TBSP garlic powder
· 1 TBSP sea salt or kosher salt
· 1 TBSP black pepper
· 1/4 cup red wine
· 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
· 1 TBSP soy sauce
· 1 TBSP honey

Pierce the meat with a Jaccard meat tenderizer tool or a fork to allow the marinade to penetrate deeper inside the meat.

Marinade in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. (I recommend marinating overnight for better results.)

Prepare the grill for high heat grilling using lump charcoal.

Coat the grate with olive oil to help reduce tendency for the meat to “stick” to the grate. Grill using indirect heat (coals banked to the side, not directly underneath the meat). My grill temperature ranged between 400 - 450 degrees.

Cook the meat to an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees maximum (about 45 minutes for me).

London Broil is a very lean piece of beef and will have a tendency to dry out if overcooked.

Let the meat “rest” for 5 minutes after removing from the grill prior to slicing. Slice the steaks perpendicular to the grain and enjoy.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I'm glad that they added the sirloin part to it so you knew what cut of meat it really was. Around here they just say "london broil" and it's up to you to guess whether it is flank, sirloin or some other cut of beef.

The BBQ Guy said...

I find it interesting that a London Broil is not really a cut of meat, but rather a method of cooking. A London Broil originally meant a method of cooking a flank steak. Through the years the term has been used generically for many different cuts of meat that fall into the "roast" category.

Kara said...

Whenever I make London Broil, I always make sure I marinate the meat over night. I work with La Cense Beef, and I use their meat to make Grass Fed London Broil. Being that the meat is grass fed, it adds to the flavor of my meal. Grass fed beef is higher in omega 3 acids and lower in calories and fat as opposed to traditional grain fed beef. The website has great recipes and tips on just the right way to cook the meat.