Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2009

BBQ Road Trip

I am planning a road trip from Las Vegas to Albuquerque to Amarillo next month. It's a driving vacation that includes a visit to the Grand Canyon. I'm looking for ideas for bbq restaurants we should check out along the route.

A Google search brings up quite a few, but I'd like to weed out the contenders from the pretenders before we leave for the trip.

Amarillo, TX

A. Dyer's Bar-B-Que - (806) 358-7104
B. Cattle Call Express - www.cattlecall.com - (806) 331-1227
C. Desperado's BBQ & Steaks - (806) 372-3030
D. Texas Roadhouse - Amarillo - www.texasroadhouse.com - (806) 352-7427
E. Big Daddy's BBQ - (806) 383-9731
F. Jerry's Famous Pit Bar-B-Que - (806) 376-9932
H. Wesley's Bean Pot & BBQ - (806) 381-2893
I. Hickory Stick Barbecue - (806) 373-3322

Albuquerque, NM

A. Rudy's Country Store & Bar-BQ - rudys.com - (505) 884-4000
B. Quarters BBQ - www.thequarters.com - (505) 843-7505
C. County Line BBQ - www.countyline.com - (505) 856-7477
D. Robbs Ribbs
E. Powdrell's Barbeque House Mr - (505) 345-8086
F. Golden Pride BBQ Chicken - www.goldenpridebbq.com - (505) 294-5767

Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Basting Away said...

BBQ Guy,

I have been to the Albuquerque area twice in the last year and have really eaten some GREAT food. Thanks to this web blog I found before going there http://nmgastronome.com/blog/?page_id=431 . This is probably the best food blog I’ve ever found on the internet, the guy name is Gil and I’ve emailed a couple of times and both times came up with some great suggestions.

This is a great BBQ restaurant and came highly recommended by Gil. It’s in an old house and is very good.

Mr. Powdrell’s Barbecue House
http://nmgastronome.com/blog/?p=345

Probably one of the best burgers I’ve ever eaten came from here, Bobcat Bite in Santa Fe. Not too far away from Albuquerque, but worth every minute. The place gets packed but I think their green chili cheese burger is worth the wait!

http://baimbbq.blogspot.com/

My 2nd favorite burger in the area was in Rio Rancho, about 20 minutes north of Albuquerque. It’s called the Smokehouse BBQ and the only thing I got there was the smoked burger so I can’t say what the other BBQ is like. This burger is different than any other burger I’ve ever had. The guys that run it told me they smoke them at 225 for 6 to 7 hours and only serve them on Wednesday and Fridays.

http://nmgastronome.com/blog/?p=189

I was in a training class the 2nd trip to the area and they brought in Rudys BBQ for lunch. They had all the usuals, pulled pork, sliced brisket, smoked turkey and a bunch of sides. All of it was pretty good.

Enjoy your trip,

Steve

t2ed said...

I've heard Memphis Championship BBQ in Vegas is good.

Never made it there though so take that with a grain of salt. I'm usually loaded up on BBQ shrimp at Emeril's and too lazy to try to drive in Vegas.

WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Eat at Joe's BBQ located almost exactly halfway between Phoenix and Las Vegas on State Highway 93 in Wikieup, Arizona

Unknown said...

Powdrell's BBQ is fantastic. Truly some of the best sauce you'll ever taste.