Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2007

BBQ Restaurant Menu

If a fellow was to purchase a bbq restaurant and the menu included Philly cheese steaks and traditional hamburgers, I'm thinking the first step to improving the business foot print and credibility would be to get rid of the Philly cheese steaks and hamburgers from the menu.

Do you agree?

Also, I'm thinking that if the restaurant is closed on Sundays, the second step to improve profits would be to open on Sundays.

Am I on the right track here?

The business was established in early 2007 and is apparently not meeting the owner's expectations. I've not eaten at the restaurant yet at this point, but I'm thinking that part of the problem is that they serve a lot of non-bbq items. The owner is also talking about adding breakfast to the menu.

From my personal viewpoint, a bbq restaurant should serve bbq and only bbq. I can see hotdogs for the children's menu or possibly fried chicken, but not Philly cheese steaks.

If a guy just had to have hamburgers on the menu, I'd prefer a "bbq hamburger" and not the traditional McDonald's variety burger.

Here's some more details about the business I'm referring to:

Asking Price: $62,000 (cash, no terms offered)
Gross Revenue: $172,784 (annualized)
Cash Flow: $31,460
Inventory: $2,000 (Included in Asking Price)
FF&E: $15,000 (Included in Asking Price)
Rent: $1,700 per month and 1,100 sq feet with parking

Competition BBQ Secrets

2 comments:

WhiteTrashBBQ said...

I don't know. Up here in NY, BBQ and grilling are pretty much the same thing in restaurants. I think people would be upset if they went to a bbq place that didn't have burgers, hot dogs and grilled chicken.

RUB does a bacon and turkey, Daisy Mays does fried chicken, Dinosaur does all sorts of non-bbq dishes - Blue smoke does soups, steaks and seafood.

I think the menu would be driven by the audience and what the kitchen can do well.

Anonymous said...

I'd leave them on the menu. Sometimes people aren't in the mood for Q, it gives them a menu option. Or how bout a cheesesteak made with brisket or thin-sliced shoulder clod? Then again, it's hard to find a decent cheesesteak outside of Philly.