Pages

Saturday, July 01, 2006

31-days to Better BBQ


There is a popular mantra that has become a rallying cry for American business--"if you're standing still, you're falling behind." Or, stated another way, "If you're not getting better, you're getting worse." I definitely don't want my bbq to fall behind. I've worked to hard to achieve current levels and want to keep the momentum going.

In preparation for the upcoming competition season, I've decided to embark on a concentrated, focused, all-out assault on improving the consistency of my bbq. I do not profess to know everything there is to know about barbecue, but I know more now than I did when I started. I've learned a lot of things the hard way, but some experienced cooks have also shared some very beneficial insight from time-to-time that have helped to flatten out the learning curve.

I am going to attempt to use this series of posts to validate everything I've learned about competition bbq in the past 4-years and, at the same time, test out some new theories and tweak my current methods. I'll call the series: "31-days to Better BBQ".

I do not know and will never know everything there is to know about barbecue, but I'm sure that collectively, readers of this blog do. There are three ways that you can assist me in this journey, if you are willing:

1) If you see me discussing a topic or specific dilemma that you've experienced and know a better of tackling the task, by all means please share your knowledge by posting a comment on the post to allow all readers to benefit from your experience.

2) If you have documented your own set of bbq tips on your own website or bbq blog, let me know about them. I'll help spread the word.

3) If you would like to see specific types of tests and comparison's feel free to submit your suggestions and I'll test them out and share the results here in a future post.

If you have some theories that you'd like to share privately, please send me an e-mail.

Get ready, get set, Barbecue!

To read a historical perspective of commercial bbq restaurants, click here

No comments: