Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Soulful BBQ

Has your bbq got soul? Does it stand out in a crowd? Is it unique?

With the availability of bbq information on the internet these days, I've noticed a trend developing. It seems that folks new to the hobby are missing some out of some the things that made southern-style bbq an authentic, and uniquely "American" food. I'm not talking Lionel Ritchie and Barry Mainlow here. Nope. I'm referring to the James Brown, Al Green, Rod Stewart, and Charlie Daniels type of soul--the "real" deal.

With a little practice and basic bbq knowledge, almost anybody willing to spend $220 on a Weber Smokey Mountain, $12 on a shaker of Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and another $10 for some Blues Hog BBQ Sauce can turn-out some pretty good 'que.

This article isn't about the garden variety bbq that's so sweet you've got dentists lining up around the corner and down the block waiting to see you. It's not about the bbq that keeps modern day sugar plantation farms chomping at the bit awaiting your next order. You see...it's easy to copy another person's recipe and it's easy to gravitate toward the type of bbq that is most forgiving--"sweet bbq"--but it's another thing entirely to step out of the bbq mainstream and come up something new exciting and different.

So cut back on the sugar and turn up the heat a little bit. Add some vinegar to your sauces, add a little mustard, or develop your own unique signature combination of spice seasoning that sprints ahead of the pack. Add some soul to your next bbq.

And if you're still not conviced...do yourself a favor and pick up a James Brown CD the next time you're at Target. It just might add that soulful touch you're bbq is lacking.

Start a Catering Business!

1 comment:

Chris said...

I prefer vinegar based stuff myself. I've been smoking for a few years and have gotten to the point where I still use techniques and rubs I've picked up from folks like you, but I am comfortable enough to throw my own spin on things.

I think it takes a few years of copying others before developing your own style, do you agree?

I do have to admit that I do like Charlie Vergo's Rendevouz rub, though (hiding face in shame).

Nice entry!