Pages

Sunday, May 09, 2010

Florida Citrus Poultry Marinade

I've been working on a new marinade this weekend.  As a resident of the Tampa Bay area my goal is to embrace some of the local ingredients that are available and develop a unique flavor profile for bbq chicken. Here's a recipe that I plan to try out this afternoon.  I've changed it up a lot, but this recipe is based loosely on a recipe in Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbecue Cookbook.

1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup tangerine juice
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP cloves
1 TBSP white sugar
2 TBSP sea salt
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 medium poblano pepper (chopped)

I call this a marinade because a brine would have substantially more salt.  I use this marinade by injecting it into chicken with a Cabela's injector and letting it marinade in the refrigerator overnight.

Poblano peppers are mildly hot at 1000-2,500 SHU's. For comparison, jalapeno peppers are 10,000 SHU's.  Feel free to substitute jalapeno peppers in the recipe if you decide to try it out. I wanted to use a pepper that's a little on the mild side because jalapenos are borderline too hot for my household.

Some may prefer lemon juice in the recipe instead of tangerine juice. I am trying tangerine juice because I've tried lemon juice before and didn't like the flavor profile. The lemon juice is a little too agressive and it presents an "in your face" approach. With the tangerine juice, I'm trying to take a more conservative approach.  If you've never tasted tangerine juice, it's very similar to orange juice.

5 comments:

Barbecue Recipes said...

Nice marinade recipe you got here. You might want to add lemon grass, really great flavor. Actually, I only use lemon grass, salt and pepper and soy sauce. That's pretty much it. Sometimes I also add oyster sauce for that sweet tangy flavor.

Chris said...

Can't wait to hear how it turns out, it sounds interesting.

Did you also use a rub or was the marinade the exclusive seasoning?

The BBQ Guy said...

I didn't use a rub. The marinade was plenty flavorful. When I do this again I'll use a little less cloves. The orange juice and tangerine juice as a marinade was actually very good. The overnight marinade was perfect. If you like a little more heat, I'd recommend a jalapeno but you might want to adjust the marinade time.

Katie said...

Looks great. Have you ever heard of a company called: www.wearablevegetables.com? They have some fun grill/bbq related products that you and your readers would love. Great gifts for Father's Day!

Chef Jay said...

A good marinade is a secret to creating a very tasteful barbecue. The best food to be prepared this New Year's celebration. Happy cooking! :)