Pages

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Using Igloo Coolers for Warmers

I've cracked two Igloo coolers now by doing this, but we use a cooler to store briskets and pork butts while waiting to prepare them. If you decide to try this too, I'd like to offer a tip that might help.

Place a few towels in the bottom of cooler first before putting your 190+ degree meat directly in the bottom of cooler. Perhaps this will help protect your cooler. I haven't been doing that and my coolers are suffering a lot of wear and tear as a result.

I first cracked a 120 gallon a few years ago and now my brand new 60 gallon is cracked too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really good tip. I just recently started using coolers to keep things warm, used towels from the git-go, and have never (knock wood) had a cracked or damaged cooler. I typically have a few layers on the bottom of the cooler, place the foiled meat in, then a few layers on top before closing the lid. So far, so good.
Thanks for the tip! Rhino, BanditBBQ.com

WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Buy Coleman! I've been using them for year and never had a problem