Pages

Friday, May 12, 2006

You Can't Eat BBQ and Drive a Stick Shift

On my drive home from work today I noticed a 20-ish girl driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse in the lane next to me. Traffic was heavy and we weren't moving very fast between stop lights. I couldn't help but notice the cell phone cradled between her ear and shoulder and she was obviously immersed in a conversation.

The car was a manual shift and that the girl was talking on her cell phone, but what really took the cake was that she had a cheeseburger in one hand and a fist full of French fries in the other hand. She was somehow managing to steer with her knees and between grabs for French fries, she somehow also managed the upshifts and downshifts as we moved from stop-light to stop- light. I've heard of multi-tasking before, but this was borderline ridiculous; and most certainly dangerous.

I muttered something to myself about "kids these days" and shook my head as if somehow she would notice my disapproval. As traffic thinned out and the flow started to pick-up speed, I couldn't help but laugh at the obvious...."she could never do that and eat a plate of barbecue brisket".

Eating barbecue is serious business for serious eaters and far from "fast".

"P-leeease, somebody give that girl some barbecue ribs."

No comments: