Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Starting a BBQ Blog

I've been writing about bbq on the internet since 2001.  I've had three different bbq sites, but without a doubt this bbq blog has the most readers, the most content, and has even generated a little revenue to help supplement my bbq expenses.  Thank you readers.

I wasn't the first person to write a bbq blog (a web log).  There were others before me and there will be others after me.  If you are thinking about starting your own bbq website or bbq blog, you can save yourself some trial and error mistakes by doing a little research.  I've read many articles about blogging and monetizing websites, but a recent article I read provides a road map for starting a blog.  Here's an excerpt from the article on Problogger.net :
Content Model. Who will write your content? How often will your content be published? What’s the purpose of every article? Will you do straight-up blogging, or a little bit of traditional webmastering? Will you be doing “open-ended blogging” without an “end date” for your content to be roughly finished? Will you accept guest posts
You can start a blog using these guidelines via Blogger.com or Wordpress.com or one of hundreds of other possibilities.  The answers to the questions above make it sound more complicated than it really is.  And as Linda will tell you, if I can do it anyone can do it. So...jump on in, the water is fine. And, when you get yours started let me know and we'll trade links.

BBQ Guy blogging tip:  If you make it a habit to post a picture with each blog post you make, your readers will thank you for it.  (I don't or can't always follow this advice, but I definitely try.)

2 comments:

Chris said...

Content is king and also the hardest thing to continually generate, you nailed that one!

Lauren said...

Hey BBQ Guy! I'm a big fan of your site! I recently started a food blog of my own, I'd love it if you'd check it out and let me know what you think. Any advice is welcome :)