Pages

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Local Bar-B-Que Restaurant

We were in St. Petersburg this afternoon and stopped by Fred Fleming's bbq place for lunch. Linda had the brisket and I had pulled pork.

I preferred the brisket to the pulled pork sandwich. The brisket was moist and tender, but there was very little bark. My sandwich was a little on the dry side and needed quite a bit of bbq sauce to perk it up a little.

The baked beans were good.

It's kind of funny how your tastes change after you learn to make traditional style barbecue on your own.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Your last sentence should be made into a "warning label" for anyone about to purchase a smoker to advise them that they'll most like never be happen with restaurant Q again:)

I have to admit, hearing my wife say "It's okay, but it's not as good as ours" over the years has been one of my favorite compliments.

The BBQ Guy said...

Piling on the bbq sauce won't correct poor bbq technique.

Sage said...

I agree. Learning to (properly) smoke your own meat is a surefire way to ruin your experience of most restaurant offerings. My wife and I laugh at what we thought was good restaurant barbecue just six or seven years ago. I think many restaurants sacrifice the time necessary for great 'cue as they get busier, if that's a measure of success.