Linda picked up a whole brisket for a practice cook this weekend. It's been marinating overnight in the refrigerator and I'm going to put it on soon.
Here's the strategy I'll be using:
1. Cook fat side up to start.
2. Spritz with apple juice after 2 hours, which helps with bark formation.
3. Flip to meat side up after 3 hours.
4. Spritz with apple juice again on the meat side up as an aid to bark formation.
5. Wrap in aluminum foil after 5 1/2 hours or 170 degrees, whichever comes first.
6. Cook to 193 degrees.
7. Let meat rest in an ice cooler for three hours prior to slicing.
8. Sauce each slice lightly prior to serving.
9. Serve while still hot.