Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Marinating Ingredients for Ribs

As a bbq enthusiast, I like to experiement with different ingredients and methods of cooking.  I did this more so when cooking for competitions than I do now for personal eating or for family and work events, but I attempt to stay current with what some contest cooks are doing.

I'm not very good in competition with ribs because I can never seem to cut them properly to make them appealing to the eyes, but they still taste pretty good. Outside of a 3rd or 4th place rib category award here and there, my ribs are nothing spectacular for competition.

Tonight on one of the discussion forums I ran across a question about how to cook ribs using the following ingredients:

  • Margarine
  • Brown Sugar
  • Honey
  • Fruit Juice

I haven't tried margarine AND honey with the other ingredients, but I been foiling baby backs and spare ribs for years with pretty good results. I put 2 oz of Martinelli's apple juice and 2 oz of Welch's grape juice in the foil with the ribs meat side down when I foil.

Now that I've found the missing ingredients, it's time for a little more experimentation :-)

4 comments:

Jeremiah Red Johnson said...

Whats your cook time on your ribs and at what temp?

The BBQ Guy said...

Jeremiah,

I generally cook the ribs in my Backwoods upright smoker for 2 hours at 225 degrees.

Then I foil them with the juice, meat side down for 1 1/2 hours.

Then I flip the meat over to bone side down. Before putting them back on the smoker I sprinkle them liberally with dark brown sugar and cover close the foil.

I cook 1 more hour at 250 degrees.

Then I open the foil on top and coat with bbq sauce that has a little honey mixed into it. I put them back on the smoker for 15 minutes before serving.

Chris said...

I've done similar but never the fruit juice either. I'll have to test it out.

Curt said...

I've never foiled my ribs, but have been tempted to see what the difference is.

I use apple cider in poultry brines, but always use orange juice and honey on ribs. I'll have to give that apple and grape juice combo a try out.