Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

BBQ Rib Recipe

I received a couple of e-mails today for the recipe that I use for bbq ribs.  The way I do it probably isn't that much different than the way most others do it.  I can't believe I haven't really ever written about my rib recipe on the bbq blog, so here goes.

BBQ Ribs Recipe
  • Try to find pork loin back ribs weighing 2 1/2 pounds or less per slab.
  • Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs, if it has not already been removed.
  • Apply your favorite bbq rub on both sides and on the edges. You can use something like Blues Hog BBQ Rub, Bad Byron's Butt Rub, Smokin' Guns, or most any other of the "brand name" bbq rubs used by competitive bbq teams and it will work pretty well.
  • I like to apply the rub the night before I plan to cook and I always refrigerate the ribs while they are marinating.  Some competition teams swear that you have to let them sit out at room temperature for up to 2 hours, but I disagree. You need to make sure the ribs are not in the danger zone (above 40 degrees and below 140 degrees for more than 4 hours). I prefer not to risk food poisoning and I would hate for my friends or family to experience it either after eating my ribs. It's just not worth the risk to me.
  • Start your fire with lump charcoal and a little apple pecan, or hickory wood chunks.
  • Bring the cooker to 225 - 250 degrees and add the ribs.
  • Cook the ribs at 225 - 250 for 2 1/2 hours, flip them, and wrap in foil with some grape juice, apple juice, or a mixture of both.
  • Cook the ribs in the foil for one hour and check for doneness. When done the meat should pull away from the bone when you pull it with your fingers.
  • Open the foil. Flip the ribs to meat side up and apply your favorite bbq sauce before serving. You can also optionally add a small amount of brown sugar and allow it to melt onto the meat for 30 minutes before adding the sauce. If you choose to add the brown sugar, you'll want to keep the ribs wrapped in foil so the meat doesn't dry out.
  • Allow the sauce to "set" for 15 minutes on the smoker before serving.
There are many other ways you can do it, but this is the basic method that many people use. Feel free to experiment with this basic recipe and tweak it for your own preferences and tastes.

I've not tried it, but a lot of people like to mix the Smokin Guns Original and Smokin Guns Hot spice rubs together. That sounds like a nice future experiment for The BBQ Guy's BBQ Blog.

2 comments:

Snowboard Diva said...

Sounds like a good one. I made my own bbq sauce for the first time about two weeks ago (using only my instincts) and it came out awesome!
I will try your recipe, too!

Chef Jay said...

I also make my own barbecue rib recipes . I really appreciate you sharing yours. All the best! :)