Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

BBQ for Christmas

We travel out of state for Christmas to visit relatives every year. To make it easier on the family we visit, we like to take some bbq along. We cook it the week before, vacuum seal it, and freeze it. When it's time to eat - we thaw it the rest of the way, reheat in the microwave, and add a little Blues Hog BBQ Sauce. It always turns out well. I highly recommend this method if you need to take food along with you when you're traveling - especially if you like to eat well. After all, what's better than bbq you cooked yourself?

I seasoned the pork butts and brisket the night before. I always refrigerate the meat overnight in the refrigerator to allow the spices to penetarate the meat better. I used my own spice rub on the brisket and tried some Oakridge BBQ seasoning on the pork butts.

I don't inject anything into the brisket, but usually inject a mixture of apple juice (3 cups), honey (1/2 cup), and whatever spice rub (3 TBSPs) I'm using into the pork butts. Those amounts work well for two pork butts. You would need to adjust the quantities accordingly for less or more meat as desired.

Since the cookers were hot, I decided to cook some chicken quarters (minus the drumsticks) on the WSM.

These were seasoned with poultry rub and marinated for 3 hours in Newman's Own salad dressing.


Here's a video of the pictures from the prepping and cooking process if you'd like to see them:





2 comments:

Chris said...

Bwahaha, I'm so glad we get to stay home this year:)

But taking your own is definitely a good idea if you have to travel. Be safe guys!

Anonymous said...

That brisket looks GOOD. I have been smoking pork and chicken on the Big Green Egg, but for some reason brisket scares me. just ordered the ultimate bbq manual... hopefully I'll be making beautiful brisket like yours soon. :)http://tinyurl.com/27ex5rw