Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Smoke Barbeque & Grill - Tampa

What do you do in Florida when it's cold and rainy on a Saturday morning?  This morning we decided to make the drive from Riverview to Hyde Park near downtown Tampa and eat at Smoke Barbeque and Grill.


On the trip over we listened to tunes by B.B. King and R.J. Spangler to get in the appropriate mood for some 'que. After circling the block three or four times we abandoned the idea of parking in actual restaurant parking lot, but we did find a "spill over" lot down the street.

We settled into a booth and were presented with breakfast menus.  Since it was nearing 11:00 a.m., we asked for lunch menus, but the waitress explained that the bbq lunch we were hoping for wouldn't be available until noon.

I'm not a breakfast eater.  When I do eat breakfast it's usually a bowl of organic oatmeal, but after making the 30 minute drive and paying $2.50 in tolls (and $2.00 going back), we decided to give breakfast a try. 

But, I was thinking brisket and pork shoulder - not sausage and eggs.  If I eat sausage and eggs it's usually at Waffle House, IHOP, or Denny's - not at a bbq joint.

Linda ordered an everything omlette with home fries.


I settled for brisket hash.


It was a nice breakfast - truth be told - but I hope to make the trip again when they are offering more traditional barbecue items. I won't say I disliked the experience, but as you can probably tell from the tone of this post - I left dissapointed.

5 comments:

The BBQ Guy's Wife said...

I think "The BBQ Guy" couldn't get past that "Smoke" didn't start lunch until noon. I sure didn't see that on their website. I heard 2 other tables ask the same thing about the lunch availability before we left.

He was relaxing a bit after starting the Hash, which he liked, but when the server failed to come back to offer us a refill on the drinks he became agitated again.

The man was in the mood for some real BBQ not breakfast!!

We will go back again to give a real review of real BBQ, just after NOON!!

Chris said...

I would have been disappointed too. No lunch until NOON!?!?! That's just crazy.

It's like the opposite of this scene from the movie Falling Down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM8qT9Xop5k

wine of the month club said...

How can you recover from such disappointment, maybe by heading to a bbq joint for an early dinner?

Kristen J. said...

Awesome, I've been looking for BBQ blogs to follow and how cool that you're in my neck of the woods!

I'll definitely have to try this restaurant out.

-Kristen from Valrico

Debbie@smokersandbbqgrills.com said...

Some grilled sausage or even bacon would have even been nice, right? Will have to check this place out if I am down in that neck of the woods!