We purchased a rabbit from Back Forty Acres in Chelsea, Michigan and today I cooked it in my dutch oven. The recipe and pictures are included below.
1 rabbit (4 – 5 lbs.)
2-3 slices of bacon
2 or 3 onions – Cut 2 into quarters and chop 1 into small pieces
3 or 4 carrots - Slice into chunks
3 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
5 or 6 potatoes cut into small chunks
3 stalks of celery chopped into small pieces
1 can of chicken broth
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. black pepper
• Brown the bacon slices and 1 finely chopped onion in the Dutch oven with bottom heat.
• Add the rabbit and brown it on both sides for 3-4 minutes
• Add 1 can of chicken broth
• Add onion quarters, chopped celery, chopped carrots, and potatoes
• Add enough additional water to cover the vegetables.
• Cook at low heat until meat and potatoes are tender.