Pages

Monday, January 05, 2009

Martin's BBQ Joint


Brian and Linda

We visited Martin's BBQ Joint in Nolensville, TN on the Tuesday during Christmas week. For those that haven't followed posts about Martin's on my bbq blog, you can read more about Pat Martin's step-by-step progress from planning, opening, marketing, and daily operation of a bbq restaurant on Martin's Bar-B-Q Blog.

Nine of us converged on Martin's at 11 a.m. just prior to the lunch rush. I had the ribs, my sister-in-law had the Red Neck Tacos, and most everyone else had pulled pork sandwiches.

After finishing my rib basket, I introduced myself at the counter and asked to speak to Pat. I'd never met him before in person, but I've been reading his blog for many months. He was nice enough to take a few minutes to talk about his experience opening and operating his bbq joint.

He showed me the kitchen layout and the Old Hickory smoker out back. Pat also mentioned that he was invited to speak at the 2009 NBBQA conference in Austin, TX in February. It sounded like Pat is planning a "no holds barred" presentation to ensure that those thinking about opening a restaurant do it with their eyes wide open. If you're at the conference and get a chance, I highly recommend you make a point to listen to his presentation.

Toward the end of our conversation, Pat introduced me to the publisher of ULIKA Food Blog, Rob Marlowe, who was also at Martin's eating lunch. If you haven't visited his food blog, I recommend you stop by for a visit. Rob has a lot of pictures of Nashville area bbq restaurants and some valuable insight into all things bbq. He also competes in KCBS bbq contests.


5 comments:

Chris said...

That's pretty cool that you have had a good trip in TN!

Did you know that the three stars on the state flag represent the three grand regions of BBQ in the state (Memphis, middle, and east)? Ok, I was making the BBQ part up, but it is pretty true.

The BBQ Guy said...

I agree there are three distinct styles of bbq in the Volunteer State and I like aspects of all three for sure. But I'm most partial to a combination of middle Tennessee and Kansas City styles.

Basting Away said...

I too have been following his blog and figured I'd stop in on my next trip to see my in laws in Tenn. So how was the food? Was it worth the trip there?

The BBQ Guy said...

The people I was with cleaned their plates, so it must have been pretty good.

Pittsburgh BBQ said...

nice place, great food. i'll be back