Please don't let this happen to you. If you choose to use a turkey fryer, please be careful. I've fried two turkeys this year so far and I will be frying another one on Thanksgiving. This video is a good example of what can happen if you are not careful.
HomeSafetyCouncil.org provides some turkey fryer safety tips on their website to help reduce the chance of a turkey fryer fire.
My biggest tips include:
1. pick a location away from the house or garage
2. concrete is preferred versus a wooden deck
3. don't leave the turkey fryer unattended
4. use a thermometer to measure the oil temperature
5. turn off the fire before adding oil and before s-l-o-w-l-y adding the turkey
6. wear protective gloves
7. wear long sleeves and pants