Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Cornish Game Hens:

I didn't have a barbecue contest this weekend and decided to take a week off from practicing traditional barbecue dishes.

I pulled out the Dutch Oven and decided to cook some Cornish hens for supper.

The hens were washed, salted and stuffed a sausage and bread stuffing.


I received a 10 inch Lodge oven for Christmas last year and really enjoy cooking with it.

The hens were steamed for 25 minutes in water with bottom heat and then basted every 10 minutes for 40 minutes after adding top heat.

The top heat added the crisp skin and golden look. Next time I will add some olive oil to give the skin a more uniform golden brown appearance.

I've cook Cornish hens in my smoker before and they turned out pretty well, but I think I prefer the Dutch Oven results.